THANKS to everybody who helped out with this!
- Tom Woodward’s mockup of before-and-after photos
- Tom Woodward’s code for the before/after photo page on GitHub
- Working spreadsheet of addresses with links to old and new photos
- The Jackson Ward Then and Now group on Flickr
- Participants: Julie Arendt, Melanie Barker, Gardner Campbell, Nell Chenault, Kathleen Delaurenti, Anna Groves, Eric Johnson, Ben Lamb, Ashley Maynor, Erin White, Sara Williams, Tom Woodward
Update 3/19: VCU Libraries Archives Coordinator Ray Bonis sent along a collection of even older photos of the Jackson Ward neighborhood in 1907 from the Internet Archive.
So much of the South and southern identity is tied to a sense of place. Time passes, people come and go, but geography stays the same. I am fascinated by this idea.
VCU Libraries has a great set of 1970s photos of Richmond’s historically African-American Jackson Ward district both in our Digital Collections site and on Flickr.
I propose we stroll over to Jackson Ward, make then-and-now photos of some of these structures, and find a way to share these photos in a way that tells a story about the neighborhood and the city.